Which city are you from? Please select city here.

Rs , sq ft

Removed from Shortlist

My Shortlist ()
Keep track of your shortlisted properties here. Shortlist a property to get started.

Converting the agricultural land into commercial or residential land

Q: Hi, I want to buy a free hold land. Is it possible to convert an agricultural land into a residential land? What is the process?

Replies (15)
Dear Sir ,

I want to buy around 7000 sqft agriculture land at Ballia district in uttar pradesh. This land is around 200 meters distance from state highway and on the highway some building are alresdy there.

I want to make a building which will contain ground floor for business purpose and first floor for residencial purpose in future .

Kindly guide me in details what actions shoud I do please ?

With Best Regards,
Md. Faisal Hussain.
Uttar Pradesh

Hi Faisal,
In case, a person wishes to use its land for non-agricultural purposes like residential, commercial, industrial, etc. then legal permission must be obtained by paying a nominal fee to the District Commissioner. Hence, the process is often referred to as DC Conversion.
The process includes obtaining No Objection Certificate from the Town Planning Authority under Section 95 of the Karnataka Land Revenue Act. 1964.

The Deputy Commissioner is the issuing authority for Land Reforms Tenanted (LRT) lands.
Tahsildar is the issuing authority for Patta Land
Balaji,  Bangalore
16th October 2014

what is the procedure to vonvert from residential land/house to comercial

Shiva from delhi

Hi,
It may be necessary to obtain permission from the local municipal authorities for conversion of the land into a commercial establishment depending on the nature of the business. But it should not cause nuisance to other dwellers of the society.
Yogendra,  Bangalore
16th October 2014

There are certain procedure to convert the agricultural land into non-agricultural land. First, you will have to identify the cogent reasons for doing the same. Secondly you will have to apply before the appropriate body in charge of the land records of rights and title or before the local appropriate jurisdictions collector/tehsildara's office where the said properties are located. You have to give the necessary details regarding the transactions along with the objective and by paying the necessary charges as stipulated by law. After systematic verifications regarding the zone and other property details as per the property records and after checking the needed compliances by the officials, the agricultural property could be converted into non-agricultural property. You can also take help from lawyers or legal experts

i bought a half acre of farm-land fm the layout sold out by happy home group in pathamuthali area near kpdam.hosur. i intend to construct multi-story building in my land. pl. let us know the rules and regulations and the procedures to construct

If the land under consideration is agricultural and if you intend to develop the land for residential, commercial, or industrial use, it has to be converted to non-agricultural land and a non-agriculture order has to be obtained from the collector of the district where the property is located. Along with this, you need to take the latest receipts evidencing the payment of non-agriculture tax. In cases where the conversion from agricultural use to non agriculture use is not done within the stipulated period, there should be an order from the authority concerned extending the period.
Indrajit Kaul,  Bangalore
11th March 2014

I want to buy a piece of land fron the owner..whos agricultural land is about 1acre.. u want to buy 4000sqft. Is it possible to covert agriculture land into commercial land use in wanadongri, Nagpur. What are the charges.

I want to buy just 4000 and want to convert into commercial. Its on the main 80feet wide road. what is the procedure and charges for the same ?
harshali,  Nagpur
19th January 2014

For Residential Purpose (Rate per Cent), 12 K.M.s within City Corporation Limit – Rs. 327.00, Taluk Centre – Rs. 218.00, Rural – Rs. 89.

Thank you Supratim for so much details.:)
12th September 2013

Please tell me what is the Procedure for Land Conversion ? And what is the fee I need to pay ?

Tahasildar Inspectors will visit the spot and confirm whether proper approach road is available to the land and also verify the Land Tribunal’s Original records and other documents submitted by the applicant. In case of patta lands and conversion order will be issued by the Tahsiladar. In case of LRT lands, report will be sent to the DC office. Again the verification will be done at each stage in Deputy Commissioner’s office as per rules. On successful verification, the land conversion application will be approved and the notice will be issued to the party to remit the conversion fees and other fees, if any, to the Government. The party has to remit the conversion fees and submit the original challan receipt and an agreement made in Rs.100 stamp paper in the prescribed format to the office, following which the conversion order will be issued to the party.
12th September 2013

@Supratim : And how to apply for Land Conversion?

Vivek the application should be in prescribed Form-I for Land Reforms tenanted Lands and Form No.21A for Patta lands and it should be submitted to the Tahasildar concerned.
12th September 2013

Can you tell me what are the documents required while applying for Conversion?
12th September 2013

For LRT Land the main documents to be bought are , R.T.C. in 3 copies., Sketch of the land in 3 copies, Certified copy of Land Tribunal Order, Certified copy of Form-10-Occupancy right., Zonal certificate from Urban Development Authority/Town Planning Authority along with the opinion,Title Deed (Back Documents), No Dues Certificate issued by Village accountant., MR order copy..
12th September 2013

Hi Please tell me Whom should I approach for my Land Conversion?

If the land was confirmed by occupancy right in the Land Tribunals ..the Deputy Commissioner is the authority to issue conversion order. For other lands Tahsildar is the authority to issue conversion order
12th September 2013

Hi Dipesh, Do you want to convert the land for commercial purpose or residential purpose? As the process differs in both the cases.

For commercial purpose the fees will be... 12 K.M.s within City Corporation Limit – Rs. 654.00, Taluk Centre – Rs. 327.00, Rural – Rs. 218.00.
12th September 2013

Procedure of conversion of agricultural land into non agricultural land in bhopal and nimach (madhya pradesh)??

First, check which approbation authority's jurisdiction does the land fall into. For example GHMC, HMDA or DTPC. The panchayat has no authority to convert the land nor to sanction any layout. If the area falls in panchayat's jurisdiction then you need to approach DTPC. If you are planning to construct house, then you have an option for applying directly for house permission and paying the conversion charges included in the permission charges. firstly check out the jurisdiction and then apply for the land use. If it's not in reserve category then conversion of land is not a problem though it will involve some and lots of leg work. best is you can hand over to consultants who are experts in these matters, who not only save you time and energy, but lots emotions too.
Jignesh Kumar

My cousin is planning to buy a piece of agricultural land and will try to convert it to residential one for his own use (for bungalow). We have never done this before and completely newbie on this, the land is in outskirts of Bangalore.

There are certain procedure to convert the agricultural land into non-agricultural land. First, you will have to identify the cogent reasons for doing the same. Secondly you will have to apply before the appropriate body in charge of the land records of rights and title or before the local appropriate jurisdictions collector/tehsildara's office where the said properties are located. You have to give the necessary details regarding the transactions along with the objective and by paying the necessary charges as stipulated by law. After systematic verifications regarding the zone and other property details as per the property records and after checking the needed compliances by the officials, the agricultural property could be converted into non-agricultural property. if needed you can consult legal expert for complying with the said proposed processes.

If the land under consideration is agricultural and if you intend to develop the land for residential, commercial, or industrial use, it has to be converted to non-agricultural land and a non-agriculture order has to be obtained from the collector of the district where the property is located. Along with this, you need to take the latest receipts evidencing the payment of non-agriculture tax. In cases where the conversion from agricultural use to non agriculture use is not done within the stipulated period, there should be an order from the authority concerned extending the period.

Ask a Question
120 Characters Left

CommonFloor Property Search Mobile App now available on Android, iOS and Windows!