Give us your feedback

We would like to take just 2 seconds of your time for your valuable feedback! It will help us to improve your experience.

How likely are you to recommend to your friends, colleagues or relatives?

Least Likely


Please select how likely you are to recommend CommonFloor.


We are glad to know that has helped you in your property search and other real estate needs!

Please do provide us more feedback at so that we can improve and serve you better.

We appreciate your feedback on! We are working hard to improve ourselves and serve you better.

It will be great if you can send us detailed feedback about your experience at

Guide to Property Registration in Mumbai

Comments(99) Sub Category:Legal,Property,Property Registration Posted On: Jul 23, 2009

Property buying in India is one of the good long-term investment option. When buying or selling a property it is compulsory to register. It ensures legal transfer and ownership of property. Registration act as a proof for transaction and registration is done after execution of agreement. The language of document can be English, Hindi, Marathi or Gujarati so that it can be registered in Mumbai.

Property Registration Property Registration in Mumbai

Documents or Papers Required for Property Registration in Mumbai

    • Adjudication
      Adjudication is process of getting market value and valuing property to ascertain stamp duty by collector of stamps. If the document is signed, adjudication must be done within one month of time else two percent interest per month will be charged. Adjudication is valid up to six months or December 31 of the year which ever is earlier.
  • Registration fees
    Sub-registrar will determine registration fees payable and issue the challan/confirms to accept the pay slip. Pay the registration fees by challan/pay slip from nationalized bank as per procedure laid down by respective sub-registrar.
  • No objection Certificate
    No Objection Certificate under the Urban Land Ceiling Act if the area of land transferred exceeds 500 sq. mts. in Mumbai City and if the land belongs to a government or semi- government body or to a charitable trust NOC of such government or charitable trust is required.
  • Property Card
    Property Card of the land on which the property is being registered or situated.
  • Original document and its copy
    The document must be printed or typed on one side only and in black ink. A photocopy should be taken on only one side of the paper and there should be butter paper between the two sheets of the photocopy.
  • Proof of old construction
    It is better to get the document adjudicated in case the building is very old and proper depreciation is not given by the sub-registrar. If property sold or purchased is in the old building and the benefit of depreciation is claimed on the market value, then any one of the following documents is to be produced as a proof of old construction:
  1. Municipal assessment bill of the building
  2. Building Completion Certificate
  3. Original registered agreement between the builder and Buyer or of any other flat in that building.
  • Proof of identity
    You need to produce id proof with photo it can be copy of driving license, passport, PAN card, driving license, employee id, voter id and proof of your address with some document support.

Steps or Process involved in Registration of Property in Mumbai

The real purpose of registration is to ensure that every person dealing with property can confidently rely on the statement contained in the register. The process of registration mainly involves the following steps.

  • Pay proper stamp duty:
    Ascertain stamp duty either you can find out the market value of your property and the stamp duty amount on it from the Ready Reckoner or get the document adjudicated.
  • Registration Fees:
    Pay the registration fees by challan/pay slip from nationalized bank. This registration fee should be paid a few days before going for registration and the receipt is to be shown to the Sub-Registrar’s Office one day before the actual date of registration.
  • Obtain the appointment:
    Party has to obtain the appointment date, time and token number from Registrar’s Office prior to one working day of intended Registration. All the parties to the documents have to remain present at Registrar Officer to comply with Registration formalities on such appointed time.
  • Two Witnesses:
    The sub-registrar first obtains signature of parties and witnesses in his presence. Thereafter Registrar puts his official seal and affixes unique numbering block on each page including the additional sheets and sheets which generally carries photographs, signatures, details of parties and witnesses.

The copy of such pay order/demand draft of bank for registration is to be submitted on the day of taking token number. Pay the required registration fees and computer service charges in cash as per the receipt when token number is being announced. Submit original document and one copy of each document. After completing the formalities the original document is returned to the party presenting the document for registration. This completes the process.


99 Responses to “Guide to Property Registration in Mumbai”

  1. Harold Minch says:

    This gives me personally a awesome impression. I’ll save it for afterwards.

  2. Nainit says:

    Pls tell me in whoes favour do i need to make demand draft in old custom house.

  3. sg menon says:

    I have a flat registered in my name. It is of single ownership. I now want to make it a joint ownership. Could you advise regarding procedure to be followed?
    thank you

  4. Peter North says:

    @ admin: great job! i wanted to ask, where did you take this theme?

  5. Morlock says:

    Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I hope you write once more very soon!

  6. Triveni says:

    I have franking of agreement done in the month of 26th Dec 2010 at Thane registration office. we have kept on hold due to original document misplaced. In Jan 2012 now we have got it done original documents now we want to do registration on same franking i.e. (26th Dec2010).
    IS this franking will approve, if not what we have to do.

  7. peter north says:

    Wonderful article. You constantly publish a interesting blog post. I will visit again in future.

  8. manoj says:

    I bought room in chawl on march 2010, I just did a notary on power of atternty & Affidavid. As i heard that registration need do within the 4 + 4 month but 8 month are already past. so what should i do for legalise the room document. Pls guide me


  9. Paramount Flats says:

    Thanks for this great information. Your blog contains a huge and knowledgeable information

    Paramount Group

  10. Schlottmann Burkhammer says:

    I’ve read a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.

  11. rajesh Lotankar says:

    sir pls guide me, i purchase chawl room in mumbai. which Documents required from seller & how to rajister Papers, Seller have three son

  12. rajesh Lotankar says:

    i bought chawl room & make document & notry the affidivate,poweratony. next what to do thank u

  13. Turkel says:

    Can you tell us more about this? I’d care to find out more details.

  14. Mitten Millholland says:

    Wonderful website. Lots of helpful information here. And certainly, thank you on your effort!

  15. Sandhya Naik says:

    I have to show thanks to this writer for rescuing me from this particular circumstance. After looking through the world-wide-web and coming across ideas that were not helpful, I believed my life was done. Living without the answers to the problems you have fixed by way of your good article content is a serious case, as well as those that might have in a negative way damaged my entire career if I hadn’t come across your web site. Your main ability and kindness in playing with all the pieces was useful. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not encountered such a stuff like this. I can also at this moment look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for your high quality and amazing help. I won’t be reluctant to refer your web blog to anyone who ought to have support on this issue.

  16. PRAVIN SINGH says:


    When will be old douments registration will start .i Have buyed the property in 1995 and i wanted to do the registration of andheri property .please kindly me know the date of old documents registration of andheri propertiy

  17. PRAVIN SINGH says:


    When will be old douments registration will start .i Have buyed the property in 1995 and i wanted to do the registration of andheri property .please kindly me know the date of old documents registration of andheri propertiy

  18. karl says:

    I was very pleased to find this web site. I needed to thank you for this good expertise and I surely enjoying just about every single tiny bit of it and I am seeking forward to check out new stuff you post.

  19. Kindra Aicklen says:

    I really enjoy studying on this website , it has excellent articles .

  20. S.JANARDAN says:

    I have a some quarry about my house (which is in located in south mumbai-RE-development SCHEME-which is in under process).After vacate my room , builder give me a agreemtnt papers (which was sing by both – builders CEO & ME) But after 9 to 10 months period ( On agrrement paper only 2011 year is mentioned , not date) he cannot did the registration of agreement of my future flat with me in OLD CUSTOM HOUSE REGISTRATION OFFICE,MUMBAI . I have only first agrrement papers with me. Sir , I want to know that, in future , Can I get trouble from Builder for this PURPOSE . I also want to know that Sir,Can I convert my residential flat (which is on 2nd floor of proposed bldg.) to commercial flat with the appropriate procedure of BMC,MUMBAI’s DCR rule ? I
    have small room on 2nd fl.of proposed bldg and there is CAR LIFT on the floor(upto this fl.only) and some parking is there on same floor. Can I get the permission from BMC MUMBAI to convert my residential flat to commercial , Sir? This is private property & My room was on my fathers name & and now my mother is also ready to give new flat on my name . Now builder is saying to me to get NOC from my all family members which names are appearing on our ration card. This is not a slum plot & after our family , I am the occupant of my old room. I am paying the rent of for last lot of years . I want to know that , is there is any neceesarity to get the above NOC . If the new room is transefer on my mothers’s name , I am also ready for that .

    Please give me a solutions and help me to salve the problems.

  21. s kumar says:

    we had purchase a mhada resale flat in 2005.The mhada registration and society transfer and share certificate we received.The stamp duty and registration work is pending .The sale agreement singed and notorised ,also the party was given irrovocable power of attorney .Kindly give us the procedure for stamp duty and registration work.

    thanking you

  22. Yogesh Parab says:

    We were living in old chawl in south mumbai in 2005 abuilder came & he re-constructed the building but we need to know the papers we have to taken from the builder

  23. Mamta says:

    Sir, I have misplaces my original agreement copy of my house. I don’t even have the receipt but I have the number and the date of registration I am in urgent need of the document. I had done the registration at old custom house. Some one please guide me , whom should I approach and what is the procedure and what would be the expense to procure 2nd copy.
    thank you

  24. Anand says:

    I stay in andheri i want to go for gift deed from my father & from bandra i will get stamp duty amount , how much stamp duty i need to pay. where i will get ready recorner for my property.

  25. Farhan says:

    I have purchased residential flat in Mumbai in Aug 2000. I have not done registration of the said document. How can i register the sale deed after 12 yrs

  26. tJ says:

    All these steps are only on paper. The biggest issue is corruption , these corrupt babus will make you pay at each and every step, to issue you a certificate , documents etc.

  27. Verghese says:

    I was recently given my father house as a gift in mumbai , the same was registered at the registrars office along with 2 witnesses .

    is it necessary to change the ration card which is my fathers name and mothers name to my name .

    Mothers name still exist though she expired a year back


  28. P.K.Tandon says:

    I am purchasing an apartment in Vakola area. The apartment is 1655 sq ft and the rates quoted are approx. 12000 per sq ft. How much would i have to pay towards Stamp Duty/ Reg charges/ service tax and vat

  29. Rajan says:

    Sir, MMRDA ka flat re sale me purchase karega tho kuch problem hai kya ??? aur woh apne naam par legally transfer ho sakta hai Kya ?? agar future me re development me jayega tho humare naam par milega ya Original Owner ka naam par milega ???

    Pls advise me,


  30. Rajan says:

    Sir, MMRDA ka flat re sale me purchase karega tho kuch problem hai kya ??? aur woh apne naam par legally transfer ho sakta hai Kya ?? agar future me re development me jayega tho humare naam par milega ya Original Owner ka naam par milega ???

    Pls advise me,


  31. Yatish says:

    I have purchased residential flat in Mumbai in Aug 2000. I have not done registration of the said document. How can i register the sale deed after 12 yrs

  32. Sharilyn Halder says:

    Hello there! This article couldn’t be written any better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I’ll forward this information to him. Pretty sure he’ll have a great read. Thank you for sharing!

Leave a Reply

CommonFloor Property Search Mobile App now available on Android, iOS and Windows!