Which city are you from? Please select city here.

Rs , sq ft

Removed from Shortlist

My Shortlist ()
Keep track of your shortlisted properties here. Shortlist a property to get started.

Sanctions and Approvals Required For Builders

Today real estate industry is one of the booming industries which offers good opportunity for investment. The demand for property is very high and availability of home loans, and affordable property being readily available., Besides, income tax rebates encourage more and more buyers to invest in property. The builders come up with projects that suit the market demand. Innovative construction techniques and good customer service enable builders to stick in real estate business.

Builder Plan

Builder Plan

Approved Plan

Approved Plan

List of sanctions required for construction activity:

The builder requires to have the approval or sanctions from the concerned authority for the construction of a building. The building constructed without sanctions or deviated more than 5 per cent from approved plan levies penalty and authorities has right to demolish the building without any prior notice.Following include the list of approvals or sanctions required by builder for engaging in any construction activity:

Building Plan: A builder should submit building plan before starting the construction activities. Building plans are a graphical representation of what a building will look like after construction. Building plan ensures that building complies with building laws. Once the building plan is approved, the builder should commence construction work within two years and there should be no deviation from the sanctioned plan.

Layout approval: The builder has to get approval of layout plan from concerned authorities before starting construction of residential or commercial building. Constructing building in unapproved layout will not be given permission to be occupied or such layout plots will be treated as unlawful and exemplary penalties will be levied as per Municipal Laws. Land which is sub-divided into plots without permission from competent authority is considered illegal or unapproved layout. No facilities such as roads, drainage, street lighting will be extended in such areas.

Basic amenities: The builder should get approval from concerned authorities for electricity, water for potable and non-potable use. The building should comply with building laws for sanction or approval of basic amenities.

No Objection Certificate (NOC): The builder has to get NOC from pollution board on the project. It is essential for the approval for sewer or water supply. It is also important to get NOC from the neighboring properties to prove that builder is not encroaching any neighborhood property. Builder has to get NOC from municipality or respective authority for digging bore well. Digging bore well without NOC or approval will be levied penalty and material used for digging bore wells would be seized. In case of construction of building with lift facility, builder has to get NOC from lift authorities.

Completion Certificate: Completion certificate is mandatory for building constructed before selling or occupied. Issuing of Completion Certificate will ensure that the builder or owner has constructed the building as per approved plan.

Clear Title: The builder has to get clear title for the land or plot. Clear title ensures that the property is clear, marketable and it traces any charges or encumbrances created on the property and its present status. It enables a prospective buyer to know the chain of holdings, transfers over a period and check any dispute on the ownership of the property.

Approval for conversion of land: Some builders use agricultural land for constructing building for residential or commercial purpose. In such case builder need to get approval form concerned authority to convert agricultural land to non-agricultural (NA) purpose.

Concerned authorities for sanction or approval

The process for applying for sanction or approval is almost similar all over the country. The concerned authority having right to give sanction or approval may vary from state to sate or region to region.

Bangalore: The builder has to approach Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) for approval of layout plan and building plan. The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) is designated as the Planning Authority under the Karnataka Town and Country Planning Act, 1961. Electricity supply in the city is managed by Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Ltd (BESCOM). The builder has to get NOC from pollution board for his project to get new water connection from Bangalore Water Sanitary and Sewage board (BWSSB). Related Article: Electricity Meter Transfer for Bangalore Apartments

Chennai: In Chennai, Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) regulates all physical developments within Chennai Metropolitan Area on planned lines. Sanctions for building plan and layout plan are approved by CMDA. Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) supplies electricity in the jurisdiction or concerned areas of Chennai city. Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (CMWSSB) supply water for citizen of Chennai city. The builder has to approach with true copy of plans sanctioned by CMDA or Corporation of Chennai or Local Authority to get new water and sewerage connection. Application forms are available in depot or Head Office and filled in forms should be submitted at the Registration counter at Head Office.

Mumbai: Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is responsible for the development of Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR). MMRDA was set up under the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority Act, 1974. MMRDA does not permit any construction works within 30 m. of the high flood line of the rivers and drainages. Electricity supply in the city is managed by Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Co. Ltd (MAHADISCOM). BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is providing drinking water supply to Mumbai City and suburbs.  Related Article: Property Registration Guide in Mumbai

New Delhi: The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) is among the largest municipal bodies in the world providing civic services. For their convenience, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi/Nagar Nigam has divided the city into twelve different zones and their offices are located in every zone. The electricity supplies in the city are from:

  • BSES (Bombay Suburban Electric Supply) Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL),
  • BSES Rajdhani Power Limited (BRPL) and
  • North Delhi Power Limited (NDPL).

The Delhi Jal Board is responsible for the Production and Distribution of potable water after treating raw water from various sources like river Yamuna, Bhakhra Storage, Upper Ganga Canal & Groundwater and provides treatment and disposal of waste water.

List of documents required to handover to property buyers

The builder can gain good clients with quality work and good customer service. The builder should not only deal as seller of property but also assist property buyers in smooth dealing of real estate transaction. The builder will have to handover the copy of building plan approved and approved layout plan. The builder also need to handover the proof of approved floor plan to the buyer. The builder should co-operate with buyer’s advocate and give copy of document demanded for verification. During construction of the building, the builder has to get a No Objection Certificate from water and sewerage supply board, electricity board and pollution control board. The builder also has to give proof of the title of property on which construction work is undertaken and proof of undertaking agreement from the landlord. After completion of project, builder has to get completion certificate from the concerned authority to ensure that the construction of the building is as per the approved plan.



43 Responses to “Sanctions and Approvals Required For Builders”

  1. Prakash says:

    Property card is in the name of MR A as per our agreemnt with Mr D now we came to knw there is Mr B and Mr C has passed the developing rights to Mr D who has developed part 1 and he has also passed the developing right to Mr E in the same plot. now we have to redevelop the society so what to do if we want convence… who wil the the owner and who will giv the convence and we also require frm Mr E??

    We dnt knw Mr A B and C…can Mr B giv us convence rights?

  2. Natashia Mincey says:

    Hi that is a genuinely interesting view, It does give one food for thought, I am very delighted I stumbled on your blog, i was using Stumbleupon at the time, in any case i don

  3. Rajnish says:

    The sanctioned plan and the actual construction are different builder says it’s not hi responsibility???????????

  4. rahul kolate says:

    dear sir,
    i am the student of civil engg. our group is decide to make a project on building constructions from starting can u help us

  5. Soumen says:

    Can anyone tell me ,if the original deed is not available or lost as stated by landlord,Though landlord provides certified copy of the deed,but how come the builder or the flat buyer become sure that deed has not submitted to bank while mortgaging may be a house loan.

    FirstlyCIBIL ( credit information bureo india limited) does not reveal proper information ,pre 92-93 PAN was not prominent.

    secondly it doesnot include unregistered mortgauge, or loan from NBFC

    thirdly NIL ENCUMBERANCE CERTIFICATE is not valid, bcoz u get at Rs.700, as registry office give it without verification.

    so pls do suggest,how to be sure?

  6. lohith says:

    thanks for the information its very help full … i’m looking for approvals required for purchasing a plot in mysore and mandya can you help me out.. ?

  7. Good Summation of all important things required for builders.
    Just to add more emphasis of safety – builders should really provide a safe working environment.

  8. Devibhakthan says:

    Let them leave open spaces and help us to say, “Sky will not fall on our head”

    With the background of recent earthquake in Japan, and after experiencing the horrible congested growth of Calcutta, Mumbai, let us pray to authorities of Bangalore not to allow it to be filled with congested concrete Jungles, haphazard layouts without enough open spaces and proper wide roads.
    If earthquakes happen, like many such cities we also do not have any other option but to become pulp under those concrete roofs that we have erected over our head spending our hard-earned money.

    It is high time that Bangalore town planning departments to enact strict laws so that builders should be forced to leave open spaces and provide wide roads in layout .The Govt should take over vacant places and make it as playgrounds. In such a catastrophic situation we can rush to those open spaces and can say, “Sky will not fall on our head”

  9. property birmingham says:

    In such
    a catastrophic situation we can rush to those open spaces and can say, “Sky
    will not fall on our head” .This is good for every one.Thanks to share

  10. Anonymous says:

    Once a certificate
    is issued, land registration can be a simple and efficient process. The owner
    often only has to sign the original certificate that was issued and a
    duplicate copy to make a transfer.Thanks a lot for sharing.

  11. Sach Jlt says:

    What exactly are you referring to when you say Lift authority, is there any government body for it or is it just lift company. Also, my builder has said lift company is going to give NOC, is it correct. Or does he mean lift company obtains it themselves from relevant body instead of builder

  12. Lakshmi says:

    can a builder of an apartment use a space demarked as DEPARTMENTAL STORE in the blueprint for purpose other than the one sanctioned by CMDA and claim does this fall under the common facility of the apartment?

  13. Anonymous says:

    This is a nice content.This provide the information that the general contractor may be responsible for any losses caused by his own negligence.This is an amazing.Thanks to share this blog.

  14. Anonymous says:

    This is a nice content.This provide the information that the general contractor may be responsible for any losses caused by his own negligence.This is an amazing.Thanks to share this blog.

  15. Dombro says:

    Valuable information. Lucky me I discovered your site accidentally, and I’m surprised why this accident didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

  16. Dildos says:

    We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with useful information to work on. You’ve performed a formidable task and our whole group will be thankful to you.

  17. KrollMcvaigh says:

    I do agree with all the ideas you’ve offered for your post. They’re very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for novices. May just you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

  18. TraweekBohannon says:

    Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with almost all important infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

  19. Martin says:

    This is a well post. The written skill is so good. I am very impress to this one.Thanks to share this blog with us. Keep it up. You are doing a great job.

  20. Charles says:

    I feel this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m happy reading your article. However want to remark on some common issues, The site style is perfect, the articles is truly excellent. Good job, cheers!

  21. Paul says:

    Fantastic post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid different users like its aided me. Great job.

  22. Ashok Kumar says:

    My name is Ashok Kumar I live in south Delhi Badarpur Jaitpur I won’t to built one floor for that whom do i need to take permission because in our Locality these days policeman says construction is restricted but i won’t to built my home to live.
    Could you Please give me the proper resolution how can i start our construction work

    • rakesh.hp says:

      Hi Ashok,

      I would recommend to contact your builder, tell them your plan and get price quote for the project. They will quote you price and they will help you to get approval for constructing another floor in existing building. This will enable you to easily get approval as these builders are expert in their field and knows the procedure to get approval for construction in Delhi.

      Thank you

      Rakesh HP

  23. Kalyan says:

    Hi I am kalyan from chennai, I am having a query about the property which is having 2 floors only but the builder is providing lift. This property is located under punchayat. Now i would like to know whether the providing lift for the property like this is permission or if the builder providing lift without approval means what will happen. Whether is will create any legal problems?? Please advice if anyone knows suitable answer for my query.

    • rakesh.hp says:

      Hi Kalyan,

      For installing and operating a lift or escalator, you need to get permission from concerned department especially from Fire department. As per my knowledge, for operating a lift, you need to get lift licence. This should be renewed at a time period depending on condition of the lift.

      You can operate lift without these documents but when there is any inspection of building or any accident happens you will have to face a lot of legal issues. Therefore, it is recommended to get approval from concern department and ensure the safe use of lift.

      Thank you


      • Jain says:

        I am planning to buy a new flat in Pimple Saudagar in Pune. I have given the token money to the builder,but now the builder says that the agreement cant be done till Aug as the plan for the floor is yet to be approved. There are 7 wings in our soceity of which 4 are completed and I have booked in an under construction wing.
        Now the builder says that he is yet to receive the “Enviornment Certificate” for our wing. He says he has got the Certificate for the constructed wing, he says the total plot size in more than 2.5lac sqft. So he got Certificate for constructed wings as they acount for less than 2.5lac.
        Is it possble to split the certi approval. Also is possiblel to get the plan approval for the flor without the certi

  24. DunkChadderton says:

    I don’t even know the way I finished up here, however I thought this publish was great. I don’t recognize who you’re but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger in case you are not already. Cheers!

  25. Cervantes Haertel says:

    hello!,I really like your writing so much!

  26. G.P.JACOB says:

    Hi, very good site to know about the important documents to be verified before the purchase of a flat or house.
    could you please guide me regarding the documents to be received on obtaining possession from the builder who has constructed small number of flats , say, 5 flats in a ground ( ground floor 1st and 2nd floor without lift ) in which I got one flat in Ist floor with covered car parking in the front side of the premises…. Thanks.- Jacob.

  27. Subramanya says:

    who is the competent authority to convert an agricultural land to Non agricultural for creating a residential layout and sell it as sites. This is in Bangalore Rural under Anekal, Jigani Hobli

    • Mr.Kiran Y Bhakari says:

      Concerned DC and Tahasildar are having the authority to conversion of agri land and BDA also has to give NOC by inspecting and surveying the land, make application before Tahasildar for NA U/s.109 Karnataka Land Grant act

  28. Hemmal Dena says:

    Discovered your write-up pretty interesting indeed. I seriously really enjoyed examining it and you also make rather some excellent details. I will bookmark this site for your future! Relly great short article.

  29. bobchrist488 says:

    Real Estate is really a very booming industry.Many sanctions and documents are required for constructing new buildings.Various authorities are required for sanction of property.

  30. patil says:

    we are planing to purchase 2 floor(g+1) building, total dimension 1303sq.ft.built up aera 10 sq.in each floor. is it passible to resister separate name or not,in bbmp limit.

  31. Sriraman says:

    We are intending to buy a flat for which we have made a token advance of a lakh. After verification of the documents, it is found that there are 3 flats constructed in each floor instead of 2 flats as per the approved drawing. It is a G+3 building, we are planning to buy in the last floor. The approved drawing says I,II & III are typical floors and the same is sanctioned by BBMP, Khata is issued by BBMP, separate EB connection is provided, and the taxes are also paid till date (it is a resale flat). Our advocate says any time BBMP may issue a notice for deviation. Kindly suggest how to go about it? Best part HDFC bank has issued housing loan for this (for the owner). Pl help…

  32. Ramachandran.P.V says:

    Can somebody tell me what is the official fees for plan approval for a G+1+1 house in 30X40 BDA site in Bangalore, constructed to the maximaum permissible area ?

  33. Carlston says:

    Thanks a lot for your post.

  34. wordpress themes menu navigation says:

    Appreciating the hard work you put into your site and detailed information you provide. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed material. Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

  35. Santhosh says:

    Does all residential buildings need approval from Pollution control board? Can you tell me the basic rules of PCB. As of I understand we are supposed to apply for consent based on Water Act, 1974 section 25. But I am still not clear with the provisions of the act

  36. Been following your reporting since day one. Excellent! Keep it up and take care.

  37. Jeevan Karthy says:

    hi, my name is Jeevan Karthy, I bought a old appartment(25years old) which does not have kitchen in the CMDA approval plan so is it possible to get it now?

  38. Rajeev says:

    I am want to Purchase a flat in Bangalore. The Flat is A-katha with 4 floors approved(G+3). However, the builder has built one more floor on the top of 3rd Floor. Total floors in build became 5 floors(G+4),
    will this is considered as legal flat.
    Actually I am planning to take in 2nd floor, so is there any problem if I Purchase the flat.; will this considered as legal flat(in 2nd Floor)
    Your Suggestion is really appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance!

    • Rakesh hp says:

      Hi Rajeev,

      If the flat is A-katha with 4 floors then there will be no issues for buying buyers till 3rd Floor. If the construction found deviation, till the construction deviation is rectified, Occupancy Certificate for the building will not be received. Ensure you get occupancy certificate before you move in to apartment.

Leave a Reply

CommonFloor Property Search Mobile App now available on Android, iOS and Windows!